To make disciples is to train people to daily hear and obey the living Jesus. We desperately need disciple-making today. There’s no need for Christians to be spiritually deaf!
- Hearing and obeying God requires:
- 1) Willingness to hear (receptivity),
- 2) Verification of what’s heard (discernment),
- 3) Application of what’s heard (discipleship).
1) Receptivity? The most common reason people don’t hear God’s voice is because they don’t want to.
2) Verification? Every thought or impression that comes to your mind isn’t from God. God’s voice won’t contradict Scripture or God’s spiritual gift of discernment.
3) Application? To be led by the Spirit we have to do what God tells us to. That’s true discipleship.
If we made church a gathering for hands on coaching and training in hearing and obeying the risen Jesus, revival would roar through our land! Unfortunately, very few pastors have had hands-on training in how to hear and obey the living Jesus, so they don’t know how to train other people to.
In three years of seminary, and many years in church, I was never taught anything about how to hear and obey the risen Jesus. I had to learn by myself.
Heart-to-heart Spirit-led gatherings are essential! Without them we dry up like spiritual raisins. They also give us access to the discernment of other Christ-followers. Let the living Jesus transform church services into 1 Corinthians 14:26 meetings.
Instead of an institutional dispenser of religious information church could be a Spirit-prompted gathering of believers connecting heart-to-heart around the living Jesus. The cork of control causes church to stay bottled up in programmed religiosity. Pop the cork so God’s Spirit can freely flow!
If you would like to experience hands-on training in hearing and obeying the living Jesus, click on my invitation.