The gifts of the Spirit are nine supernatural operations of the Holy Spirit that work in and thru Christ-followers. They are listed in 1 Corinthians chapter twelve.
When we open our heart and life to the gifts of the Holy Spirit, Christianity comes alive in whole new ways! If we ignore, reject, or quench God’s spiritual gifts, then we deprive both ourselves and others of their benefits. Here’s a sentence about each of the gifts:
- A “word of wisdom” is some supernatural direction or leading from the living God.
- A “word of knowledge” is some specific information that comes directly from the living God.
- The spiritual gift of “faith” is supernatural belief that is able to fully trust God for a particular concern or situation.
- “Gifts of healing” are miraculous recoveries from sickness or injury, directly produced by the living God.
- “The working of miracles” is supernatural answers to prayer that defy logic and produce awe in those who hear about them.
- “Prophecy” is direct communication from the living God, that a person shares with other people.
- “Discerning of spirits” is to recognize the differences between your own spirit, God’s Spirit, and demon spirits.
- “Speaking in tongues” is the supernatural ability to pray with words that you don’t understand, but freely flow from within you.
- The “interpretation of tongues” is the supernatural revelation of the meaning of what is said when a person speaks in tongues.
If you focus on loving, encouraging, and serving others in the name of Jesus, spiritual gifts will manifest in and thru your life. The Holy Spirit releases His gifts thru receptive believers, moment by moment. They’re not “once and done” things.
The gifts of the Spirit aren’t operated by the mind. They flow from deep within the heart. Pride hinders spiritual gifts, humility releases them. (“God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”)
For more about the gifts of the Spirit, search for: The Joy Of Early Christianity book. Thank you.