The more I concentrate on Jesus the more I sense His presence and feel His power. The more I focus on and surrender to God’s Spirit the fuller my faith grows and the greater my desire and ability to obey Him.
Inattention to Jesus quenches the Spirit. Concentrate your mind and heart on Jesus. If you let your heart be so attracted to Jesus that you can’t be distracted, you’ll be impacted by His presence every moment.
The Christ-focused zone is much more life enriching than the comfiest comfort zone. Still, it’s easy to ignore Christ’s call to come out of a comfort zone. I find that religious programs, sermons, and liturgy make it difficult to keep my attention on the living, present Jesus.
God is constantly communicating but we miss most of His messages because of our inattention. Being inattentive to the risen Jesus causes Christians to feel a need for religious programs. Try to avoid self-promoting, absent minded, heart-distracted, Christ-ignoring Christianity.
Christ in you
Leaves you struggling
About what to do.
Jesus is the answer.
Let us adore
The living Jesus
And no longer
When my heart’s ears
Hear the silent sound
Of the Spirit
My eyes moisten
Focus me Jesus
So I can see
Beyond my will
And surrender to
Christ in me.
Frequently doing these things keeps my attention on Jesus:
- Talking to Him,
- Reading the Bible with an open heart.
- Listening to His still, small voice within me.
- Doing what He tells me to do.
- Hanging out with people who are thrilled about Him.
- Recognizing what He is doing in and around me.
- Operating in the gifts of the Spirit.
- Praying for other people.
- Letting my pain keep me desperate for Him.
- Praying in tongues.
- Enthusiastically quoting Scriptures from memory.
- Avoiding quenching the Spirit.
- Praying “The Jesus Prayer.”
- Asking Him to show me where I’m off track.
- Confessing and repenting.
- Pouring out my heart to Him in worship and adoration.
- Telling people about Him.
- Encouraging and helping people.
- Writing about Him.
- Praying over people.
- Listening to heart-stirring worship music.
- Reading heart-touching books about Him.
- Gathering with believers to listen to and obey Him together.